A reverse-painted glass Pieta made in Tyrol, ca. 1600
The production of reverse-painted glass devotional images in Tyrol, Germany, were fueled by the Counter-Reformation after the Council of Trent. It is believed these devotional paintings were more frequently exported to Italy for sale rather than sold regionally, encouraging workshops to produce imagery in-line with Italian tastes. The present work is evidently one of several that can be linked to one or more glass workshops active in Tyrol around the year 1600.
Approximate size: 15.5 x 13 cm