A pair of glazed terracotta torchère-bearing angels after Benedetto Buglioni
A pair of glazed terracotta torchère-bearing angels
After Benedetto Buglioni
19th century; after originals ca. 1480-90
Approximate size: 49 cm (h) each
The present pair of glazed terracotta torchère-bearing angels reproduce a scarce set known by only one example in the private art market (Christie’s auction, 8 December 2010, Lot 281), which sold for approximately 100,000 EU and were rightfully ascribed to the Italian sculptor, Benedetto Buglioni. This associated pair of high quality casts may be associated with an adept founder of Tuscan origin during the mid-19th century, in service to Italian and foreign collectors.
This particular pair of angels share a resonance with the martyrs belonging to a figure group of Saint Romolo and a statue of St. Agnes attributed to Buglioni and his workshop, ca. 1515-20 at the Museo Bandini in Fiesole, Italy. Apart from the Della Robbia dynasty of sculptors, Buglioni and his studio were the most important production center for glazed terracotta in Florence and Tuscany toward the end of the 15th and beginning of the 16th century. It is presumed he was trained under Andrea del Verrocchio and Buglioni's success is attested not only in his service to various aristocratic families of his era but also in the advice consulted from him for the placement of Michelangelo's David.
Condition: craquelure in glazed areas, minor losses, hairline crack along the back neckline of one angel.